Arcade Extreme

1st AEX Cup: GUWANGE (1 April - 3 June), GENERAL DISCUSSION

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 16:38

CODEN

Group:
Administrator

Ci provo nonostante un cerchio alla testa che le olimpiadi si scostano :sisisi:

Prome: Nev said he's satisfied about the competition, he thought that was impossible for a player outside Japan to score as much is such a small time until it happened. To lose that way was hard but useful because now his way to plan and to play for a record has changed. He'll keep on playing to score more than 50 mil!

Contacts  Top
Icarus_
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 18:18

QUOTE (ProMeTheus112 @ 19/6/2007, 15:59)
- I think the duration of the tournament was a little long. I stopped playing myself 10 days before the end, and I believe the length of the tournament is part of what turned some of the quitters off. Maybe 6 weeks instead of 8 would be better ?

Personally I work better with the STGT format of one playing week, as one week means you have to stay focused and motivated, and really give it your best, but that's just me. I'm all for a shorter duration, however, as the less time you have, the more motivated you are to perform. That's what killed my participation off for me, as I get very lazy when I feel I have plenty of time.

- Also I think people quit because they felt they had little contact with the tournament besides the checkpoints (so contact only once every 2 weeks). I definitely felt a little left out from the general discussion during most of the tourney because everyone was speaking Italian in the thread. But that's partly our fault for not trying to take part, because as we saw in the end, there was definitely discussion going on between you Italian guys and Icarus and I, in English.

Babelfish is my friend.

I don't really feel I had little contact. If anything, I prefer to instigate discussion, but I do agree that for an international tournament, a large portion of discussion not being in an accessible language hinders participation. The same could be said for STGT and foreign, non-English language players.

Thanks for the tournament. I learned some new tricks for the game that I can use if I ever decide to return to it (unlikely at this moment in time, as I'm chasing a counterstop in Batsugun, and possibly the near future too, as I have some other games I want to sit down with).

ProMeTheus112
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 19:38

がんばてね ネヴランド !

gogo to 50+M Neverland !

I'm curious about your new ideas to keep people in touch with the event for the next contest LUN. I'll definitely take part in it if I like the game.

Icarus wrote :
Personally I work better with the STGT format of one playing week, as one week means you have to stay focused and motivated, and really give it your best, but that's just me. I'm all for a shorter duration, however, as the less time you have, the more motivated you are to perform. That's what killed my participation off for me, as I get very lazy when I feel I have plenty of time.

Well, only one week for this kind of contest would mean very little time to improve, and the guys who already have 50+ hours on the game are bound to be the winners.
I know what you mean though. In this contest, I played like 1 hour a day on the first month, then more and more as the end was coming nearer, and reached maybe 4/5 hours a day on the last week I played -_- (totalling 100h). I indeed don't think I could have played that much every day during 2 months, but it's only fairer because people who cannot allocate more than 1 hour to playing each day have better chances of winning this way : their total playtime can be pretty close if they play 1 hour a day for 60 days when the guys who have more time play 5 hours a day for 2 weeks and then stop cause fed up or something.

Edited by ProMeTheus112 - 19/6/2007, 21:00

Icarus_
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 20:09

QUOTE (ProMeTheus112 @ 19/6/2007, 20:38)
Well, only one week for this kind of contest would mean very little time to improve, and the guys who already have 50+ hours on the game are bound to be the winners.

Not necessarily. In last year's STGT there were quite a few games I had not played before (Blazing Star, Star Force, Dragon Blaze, Air Gallet) but my results were quite satisfactory. Same goes for a lot of last year's top-scoring players.

If anything, STGT's "one week to play" format places emphasis on quick learning, consistency and the use of good team communication in strategy building to make up for the lack of available time. For example, during the 12 weeks of last year's tournament there were nearly 1200 posts on the team forum, and a large portion of that was strategy discussion. Add to that the in-team competitiveness we had each playing week, and it adds up to great results even with a short length of time to get them.

I prefer the short time limit format as like I said, I have a lot more motivation to perform well. But again, that's just me.

-NEV-
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 20:13

prometheus
do you think to return in game with guwange and beat 50+ mil?

ProMeTheus112
view post Posted on 19/6/2007, 21:44

QUOTE (Icarus_ @ 19/6/2007, 21:09)
QUOTE (ProMeTheus112 @ 19/6/2007, 20:38)

Not necessarily. In last year's STGT there were quite a few games I had not played before (Blazing Star, Star Force, Dragon Blaze, Air Gallet) but my results were quite satisfactory. Same goes for a lot of last year's top-scoring players.

If anything, STGT's "one week to play" format places emphasis on quick learning, consistency and the use of good team communication in strategy building to make up for the lack of available time. For example, during the 12 weeks of last year's tournament there were nearly 1200 posts on the team forum, and a large portion of that was strategy discussion. Add to that the in-team competitiveness we had each playing week, and it adds up to great results even with a short length of time to get them.

I prefer the short time limit format as like I said, I have a lot more motivation to perform well. But again, that's just me.

Interesting. Maybe I'll take part in next STGT and see for myself.

QUOTE (Neverland @ 19/6/2007,21:13)
prometheus
do you think to return in game with guwange and beat 50+ mil?

Yeah probably, but not anytime soon. Right now I'm playing Dodonpachi, and I'm going to play more Starcraft / UT2004 afterwards, I want to do a higher score on EspRaDe too, and try all the modern shmups (mushi, galuda, DOJ...) so I don't know when I'll come back to Guwange, but I will. It might make me want to come back faster if I see you've beaten my score or are close to though ;P !!

Kyper
view post Posted on 20/6/2007, 08:22

Also I think people quit because they felt they had little contact with the tournament besides the checkpoints (so contact only once every 2 weeks). I definitely felt a little left out from the general discussion during most of the tourney because everyone was speaking Italian in the thread. But that's partly our fault for not trying to take part, because as we saw in the end, there was definitely discussion going on between you Italian guys and Icarus and I, in English.

The flow of Italian kinda put me off, but I don't think I made an honest effort at communicating. I ought to speak up at times.

Anyway, this was a very interesting experience for me. Being the first shmup that I heavily played for score, I didn't think I would've made it as far as I did. There's definitely a sense of enjoyment and accomplishment in learning the intricate shot patterns and level layouts until I know exactly what to do. Maybe I'll participate in the STGT as well, if I can find a team to accept my low-tier skills, heh.

Oh, I'm wondering, what were these mysterious prizes for best start and most improved?

view post Posted on 20/6/2007, 10:14

CODEN

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Kyper @ 20/6/2007, 09:22)
Oh, I'm wondering, what were these mysterious prizes for best start and most improved?

As I said to nj, we're "working" on it, stay tuned and sorry for being late on this ^__^;;

Contacts  Top
powerfuran
view post Posted on 20/6/2007, 13:51

IMO, I think that a 3 months lenght was simply perfect. Shame on me for not being able to concentrate on improving strategies and keeping constant motivation for the tournament. :)

3 months is ok. A single week is just too short. The fact is that, no matter how willing is one to improve /score / discuss things, one week is simply too little time to do any deep discussion. or get concentrated. And I think that a reaonable lenght is good for one more thing: you can start a game from zero (as I did with guwange) and enjoy it and have fun, which I believe is the most important thing, the rush for competition is just a natural consequence, although it should be the first reason to join (well, after all it's a tournament! ^_^ )
And one more point: if anything happens to you in a short lenght tournament (health, job, study...whatever) you're simply cut out. I played very little until the last checkpoint, due to many reasons, It's not an excuse, it's a consideration! :)

ProMeTheus112
view post Posted on 20/6/2007, 14:01

2 months 2 months !

yeah I agree with you, it's really nice to start from zero and be able to achieve good, something that's possible only if you have a reasonable amount of time. Because you can't do 100h or more in only one week :O

powerfuran
view post Posted on 20/6/2007, 14:28

CITAZIONE (ProMeTheus112 @ 20/6/2007, 15:01)
yeah I agree with you, it's really nice to start from zero and be able to achieve good, something that's possible only if you have a reasonable amount of time. Because you can't do 100h or more in only one week :O

I must explain better what I've written in my previous post: since my life has a long relationship with damn annoying unexpected things, I prefer join tournaments which last more than a monts or somethiong like that. If it was just a week or a couple of weeks I'd simply not join. :) But as Icarus said, there can be a surprising outcome in discussion. :)

955 replies since 13/3/2007, 12:23   15335 views